Prayer for the Beatification of Catherine McAuley
Loving God, you chose Catherine McAuley for the service of your people who are poor, sick and uneducated. You inspired her to found the Sisters of Mercy that these good works might endure. Give to each of us a portion of her compassionate spirit and ardent desire to serve your suffering people.
Bless all our undertakings and grant that union and charity may always thrive among us. Graciously hear our prayer for Catherine, and by granting the favors we ask through her intercession, hasten the day when her sanctity will be celebrated by all the church. Amen.
For the first time in two years, Mercy was able to hold the May Crowning ceremony in true Mercy fashion, in the evening, attended by the entire school, and with guests.
Congratulations to our May Queen, Ellen Veys, and her court:
• Melina Nelson & Gianna Bayly (9)
• Ellie Rief & Grace Swoboda (10)
• Mary Kate Nussrallah & Carly Evans (11)
• Maisie Wieser & Jessica Baumker (12)
Congratulations to the Class of 2022’s Outstanding Seniors, Willa Tokporo and Ellen Veys. Chosen by their class and the MHS staff, these girls have spent their high school years dedicated to the mission of Catherine McAuley and represent what it means to become a Woman of Mercy.
Golf Team Receives Major Grant From PGA
Thank you to the Professional Golf Association (PGA) for their donation of over $8,000 worth of equipment for Mercy’s Golf Team! To celebrate, Mercy golfers had fun during a reception after school. We thank Mercy’s golf coach, Wes Kosch, for making this happen!
Abriendo Puertas Club
Mercy’s Abriendo Puertas Club has won the Spanish speaking category of the National Safety Council’s #BeatDistractedDriving video contest! This honor comes with a $2,000 prize and the opportunity for their video to be aired on TV and social media. To watch, simply search #MHSDriveSafe on Instagram and take the pledge to beat distracted driving!
Mercy Summer Renovations
This summer, Mercy will receive major building renovations. These updates are made possible through the generosity of many supporters in our community.
• New landscaping along the west entrance.
• Moving the statue of Mary currently on the north side of the building to a more prominent place along the west side of the school.
• High School Office redesign along with an overhaul of the main entrance.
• Construction of a Spirit Store.
• Updated Media Center.
• Expanded weight room.
• Core Value Branding throughout the building.
If all goes as planned, and there are no interruptions with the global supply chain, updates should be completed by the fall. Keep your eyes and ears open for further information.
Click HERE to view the renderings. (Please note that these are all subject to change and do not represent the absolute final product.)
• Student accomplishments were celebrated at Honors Convocation.
• The Class of 2022 will graduate on May 22 with nearly $13.2 million in college scholarships.
• On College Signing Day, the seniors shared their next steps.
• Abby Wessling was named Valedictorian, and Karina Rief was named Salutatorian.
• Two students were selected to the Omaha World-Herald's All-Metro Academic Teams. Congratulations to First Team honoree, Abby Wessling and Second Team honoree, Maisie Wieser.
• The Mercy Alumnae Council would like to extend a service opportunity to the Mercy Alumnae community through their partnership with Restoring Dignity, an Omaha non-profit that was started by a Mercy High alumna, Hannah Vlach-Wyble ‘05. Click here for details on how to donate or purchase items. To learn more about Restoring Dignity, go to: www.rdomaha.org.
• Thank you to the nearly 60 alumni, family and friends of Mercy who contributed almost $6,000 in support of Negotiated Tuition during the recent Joy of Giving day. Click here to make your gift now. This link will remain active until Wednesday, May 25, so you still have time to support Mercy. Thank you again!
• Save the date for this year’s All-School Reunion on September 25, 2022. We will celebrate the Class of 1972.
• The Classes of 1962, 1967, 1972, 1992 and 2002 have reunions planned.
Join Us in Prayer
We remember these alumnae who recently passed:
If we have omitted anyone from this list, please contact our Database Coordinator, Naomi Chambers, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 402.553.9424.
The Mother McAuley Prayer Circle has ended for the 2021-2022 school year. Prayer Circle will resume on September 24, 2022 at 9:15 a.m.